Sunday, June 29, 2014

Taking the Greil Marcus Challenge

I am teaching a mini-course at Shalem College this summer on the History of Rock 'n' Roll. 

I have taken the Greil Marcus Challenge and will try to tell this tale in just ten tunes. In my case, I have gotten to those ten songs using a web of ten themes: rebellion, fun, prophecy, fashion, love, friendship, war, work, sex, and death. 

I am oh so unsatisfied so far, of course - though I do have scores of backup songs and artists to supplement this core.

Here's what we've got so far, kids: 

Chuck Berry, "Roll Over Beethoven" (1956)
The Replacements, “Bastards of Young” (1985)
The Beatles, “She’s Leaving Home” (1967)
Patti Smith, “Gloria: In Excelsis Deo” (1975)
Aretha Franklin, “I Never Loved a Man (the Way That I Love You)” (1967)
Bruce Springsteen, “Backstreets” (1975)
The Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter” (1969)
Bob Dylan, “Maggie’s Farm” (1965)
Meatloaf, “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” (1977)
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young“Ohio” (1970) 

To be continued...

No comments: